Thursday, July 16, 2015

Currently Reading...

Other than all the books assigned by Professor Hansen that I have been diligently reading (obviously), I like to leisurely read other books as well, when I have spare time. I'm a huge book worm and tend to favor non-fiction books - usually memoirs. Currently, I'm reading a book titled Without You, There is No Us: My Time with The Sons of North Korea's Elite by Suki Kim.


Here's a picture of the book just for reference. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book and it is slightly disturbing. Suki Kim is a Korean American NY Times journalist who, because of her heritage, decides to teach at a North Korean university, Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, that is located in Pyongyang. Her book recounts her time in North Korea and her experience teaching English, which is everything you've heard to be true and more. I won't say too much...but if you're interested in reading this book the New York Times has a great review http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/books/review/suki-kims-without-you-there-is-no-us.html?_r=0.

For me, reading memoirs and non-fiction books allows me to learn about so many subjects, people, countries, and things I just would not have known about in an interesting first-hand context. I will give you a few recommendations of some great books I've read, and hopefully you can carve out some time to read!

The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way 
by Amanda Ripley
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/books/review/amanda-ripleys-smartest-kids-in-the-world.html

The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety (really must read!)
by Alan Watts

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
by Mindy Kaling
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/is-everyone-hanging-out-without-me-and-other-concerns-by-mindy-kaling/2011/11/15/gIQAZfxTYN_story.html

What She Saw...
by Lucinda Rosenfeld

Swimming to Antartica
by Lynne Cox

3 comments:

  1. This seems like an interesting reading. It ties into what the guest speaker was telling us about his new novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations! I also love the Wisdom of Insecurity; will definitely check out some of the other books!

    ReplyDelete