For the third, and final, part of John Bloom's book The Genius of Money presents various interviews done with selected individuals who have some experience, knowledge, or academic/professional credentials that entitles them to speak freely on their relationship with money, economics, or philanthropy and what it means to them.
One interview I would like to briefly focus on is concerned with philanthropy and it relates to my previous post, regarding this book, on philanthropy. The interview is with an anonymous donor - the significance of this being the anonymity, "eliminates the expectation of recognition from the giving process" (121) in regards to gifting money for charitable purposes. I believe this concept is of the upmost importance, because individuals will generally give money and charitable donations solely for the recognition and infamy it creates for them and their "image". However, this was not the case with this particular interviewee and she had some interesting conclusions and theories that she possessed about philanthropy and her relationship with money.
She states that philanthropy has not been a passion of hers ever - now or in the past. She didn't feel philanthropy was her calling and frankly doesn't like to spend much time on it because it interferes with her personal life and her other interests. Furthermore, she acknowledges that the world is in desperate need of philanthropic assistance and if she is in a position, or anyone is in a position, to help - then by all means we must do so. She claims, "I seem to be in a position to be able to direct significant resources toward helping things that need to happen in order for us to gracefully move to the next stage of our evolution on this earth with as little suffering as possible" (122). She concludes that she has come to become involved in philanthropy out of a sense of responsibility or duty.
This is an interesting concept that she embodies, and I think everyone else should think more like her. If you are in a position and fortunate enough to help those in need and make the world a better place for everyone (in the future) than why would you not? Why would you not give back and create the best environment and future for everyone if you could? Wouldn't you want other individuals to do the same for you if you weren't as fortunate and they were in a position to do so?
Reading through this interview gave me a different perspective and insight into people's relationships with money. A relationship with money can consist of a more spiritual outlook and understanding than purely economic, social, or political. I enjoyed reading about this particular perspective regarding money and I hope more people can develop or adopt this sort of attitude.
*** I used the pronoun "she" because I think I gathered from the interview that "she" was a mother, and referred to other feminine things. However, I'm not entirely sure since the interviewee was anonymous. Keep in mind that the "she" I refer to, may very well be a "he" ***
Jenna, I used to assign this book to my entire class, giving students the option of which interviews they wanted to read. Everyone had the same confusion about the gender of the anonymous donor. I ALSO think the donor is female. Interesting, eh?
ReplyDelete