So, reading Omnivore's Dilemma (and all about corn) made me think about some other nutritional and diet-based books I have read. Michael Pollen talks about cows and other animals naturally being herbivores, but instead are fed diets infused with fats and other grains that their body was not BIOLOGICALLY made to process. This in turn created a whole variety of complications, medical issues, and even sicknesses and diseases for the animals. Well, as it turns out the same is said for humans.
I've previously read the book The China Study by Colin Campbell, which now that I think about it is a very odd "leisurely" type read for me to select. Anyway, here's a little wikipedia blurb about the book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study). So what Colin Campbell and his son have set off to research are the relationship between animal-based diets and chronic illnesses, sicknesses, and disease. Some of the diseases and illnesses that are discussed are - heart disease (which if I remember correctly is one of the leading causes of death in the United States), diabetes, and certain cancers. Campbell and his son directly relate the rise of these types of sicknesses and disease to a largely consumed diet of animal-based products.
This being said, the most comprehensive nutritional study was conducted in China comparing diet to death rates of a certain type of cancer. What they more or less discovered was that consuming a strictly plant-based diet or one containing little to no animal products (meat, dairy, etc.) significantly reduces your chances of contracting any of these diseases as described above. Furthermore, if you already have one of said diseases, eating a plan-based diet could reduce the rapid reproduction of those diseases and in turn, could prolong your life and your long term health.
Whether or not this study is scientifically/statistically significant or correct, which I believe it is, diet can and does have a direct impact on your health and it's something that more Americans need to pay attention to. I use the term "Americans" because I believe other parts of the world are exempt from the embarassingly bad eating habit that exist in the United States. For example, Europeans have a completely different relationship with food than we do which I discovered while studying abroad for roughly four months. They believe in celebrating food and dinner and meals are a process that must also be celebrated. Therefore, everything (produce) must be of the freshest content and they believe in all sorts of wonderful flavors. This being said, you never once saw a fat European walking down the street. Europeans eat well, exercise more, and enjoy a lifestyle where they can embrace all the great things about fresh food and what it has to offer.
I genuinely believe that what we put into our bodies directly effects our mental, physical, and emotional capacities. Some may believe that eating meat does not harm our bodies, but based on research that has been collected in The China Study Campbell and his son really believe and have proven that a plant-based diet can promote longevity. I guess you could look at this blog post as just some food for thought for now....
I agree with you, we're responsible for paying attention to what we eat. I told my mom that vegetarians live longer, and now, she's been a vegetarian for almost 5 years.
ReplyDeleteNicely written! Although at first I was interested in you mentioning China but then I found out it's about diet, I was interested and have learnt stuff, too.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you that plant-based diet is really helpful for human bodies. Anyone trying to be healthy should think about this seriously.
But who am I kidding... I'm a big fan of meat........
Farewell, longevity...
I agree. I try not to eat meat, but hearing more from Michael Pollan made me reconsider the system as a whole. At one point he states that some of the tribes and rural dwellers on the Earth who have the best teeth and live the longest are carnivores. He makes a big point to talk about the meat thats grass fed because its definitely healthier and more sustainable.
ReplyDeleteI think you just feel much better when you aren't eating meat, but I think meat is a bigger problem because of how much water it requires to grow. The fact that 30% of cows have injured livers come slaughter is truly sad and a big red flag.
That book offers a good perspective on food. It is probably not good to eat too much meat, but I think meat is a necessary part of the diet as protein. For people that prefer not to eat meat there is tofu. I personally love steak; but, eating too many hamburgers is probably not a good choice.
ReplyDelete