Reading Part 1 of Omnivore's Dilemma I was, at first, a little reluctant when the author focus on corn for little over a 100 pages, but I'm excited as to see where he goes with it and what he uncovers about how corn continues to play a role in our everyday lives. In this day and age where there is a surplus of readily available information the author describes the ignorance of the American population in relation to knowing where their food comes from or what is even in the food they consume on an everyday basis. Well, Michael Pollen is here to inform you that is can be summed up in one word all of the answers, questions, and concerns you may have about the food you eat and where it comes from or even what is in it....CORN.
After reading the first part of this book I was honestly horrified to admit that I was just as uninformed as the rest of the population on the food I consume even though I would like to think I eat exceptionally healthy/try to at least buy locally and organically. The mantra "you are what you eat" becomes transformed into a new version of "you are what what you eat eats, too" that is fully compatible with this day and age. For the world's greatest era of dumb consumers, no one puts much thought about what goes into their bodies and after reading this book I most definitely will reconsider my entire relationship with food.
Realizing that the agricultural industry and the food we consume is organized by the government solely for profit and not at all for our benefit, when our health and well-being is at risk is slightly disturbing. To industrialize and market something so vital to the human species is disgusting and I'm surprised that more people aren't outraged. I believe that it's because a lot of individuals are so unaware of what is happening and are so uninformed. To know that the corn industry not only is harmful to ourselves, animals, and farmers but that it also contributes to the ever rising climate change and the state of our environment strengthens the case for an entire overhaul with our so-called "food system" and the way food is not only grown, but delivered to consumers.
No comments:
Post a Comment