Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Half the Sky (Final Reading Post)

After finishing Half the Sky and hearing about various tales and triumphs of women, all ages included, and what is going on in some parts of the world, I think it's safe to say that I am very fortunate and that some change needs to happen...and fast. Basically, what Kristoff and WuDunn repeatedly state throughout this book is that these problems, thousands of miles away, involving different cultures that seem foreign to us, and are so far away from our problems that our mental capacity has a hard time understanding NEED to be obligations for American citizens.

Kristoff and WuDunn quote, "we single out the West, because even though they are peripheral to slavery and the horrors occurring, our action is necessary to overcome this necessary evil" (143). I think Kristoff and WuDunn are 100 percent right in fact. Our country possess the resources, capacities, and funds to enact change. Whether it be by education the rest of the world, providing aid, or making it a part of our political agenda - something NEEDS to be done.

Personally, I think the most important part is educating everyone about what is going on and also educating the women in these predicaments in Pakistan, Cambodia, etc. that they have other options and this is not the way things should be (if we could get past cultural and religious beliefs and histories). However, education is definitely the most important thing surround a solution to this issue.

The second largest issues becomes the law, and laws don't mean much if they are not followed. This relates to all women traffickers and prostitutes, but mostly Kristoff and WuDunn recognize this when they explore female genital mutilation in Africa.

However, one solution they provide is that if everyone could look past the failures and differences of multiculturalism and work together, educate together, and understand then some real progress could be made, and I agree. It's hard to imagine any real tangible change happening -simply because who will be a "doer" and who will start? BUT I do believe it's possible.

Thanks Professor for assigning this book to read, and opening my eyes to some issues going on in the world that I had no idea about. I really learned a lot from your class! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment